From ages past predominantly the Brown Bakers made a more substantial and nutritious coarse, almost black, loaf of rye or barley or buckwheat etc, but as white bread gradually became more popular, considerable friction developed between the bakers of brown and those of white so that in the early years of the 14th Century they split into separate guilds.

Despite the White-Bakers making several attempts to force the Brown-Bakers to reunite, the latter nevertheless obtained their own Coat of Arms in 1572, a Charter in 1614, a Grant of Incorporation in 1621, and for ten years their own Hall in Aldersgate in 1635. It was not until 1645 that, due to their ever declining trade and influence, they finally reunited with the White-Bakers into the single Company existing now.